Dental specialization requires a dentist who acquires expertise in a specific field of dentistry. The professional needs specialized graduate training. Once the training is complete, the dentist will be given a specialist credential.
To protect the people and to improve the quality of treatment, dental specialties are recognised. The American Dental Association (ADA), has identified nine official dental specialties. They’re the biggest specialties being observed around the world at the moment.Roach Family Dentistry & Associates is an excellent resource for this
We are all about to benefit from them all.
- Dental public health Their emphasis is on ensuring their community’s best dental health. The aim is to view “the society as a whole instead of an entity” Certain tasks include researching habits, triggers and regulation of oral health problems.
- Orthodontist Such dentists are qualified to practice in malocclusion (misaligned bite) growth, prevention and correction with the use of dental braces and retainers. We also have specialized training to treat jaw anomalies and disabilities.
- Endodontist They deal primarily with the causes, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of dental pulp (tooth nerve) diseases and injuries. An Endodontist is useful in performing challenging root canal therapies or other such root surgery.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Radiologist A Radiologist’s principal function is to interpret all types of X-ray images. The expert must examine all the evidence used in the treatment of oral or maxillofacial (jaw and face) disorders. In 2003, that specialty was introduced.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgeon An oral surgeon performs and treats teeth, lip and face disorders, accidents and deficiencies by surgical extraction and restoration. Also, they perform biopsies, oral cavity tumor removal, fractured cheek repair, jaw bone repair, and complex jaw realignments.
- Prosthodontic A prosthodontic specializes in the manufacture / restoration of prosthesis and fake teeth. The Prosthodontist is repairing the missing teeth with ceramic crowns, dentures, and bridges. These may also be useful in treating disorders of the facial structure (head and neck deformities).
- Periodontist The Periodontist specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases associated with tooth structures such as mouth soft tissues, gums and teeth bones. They can also treat gum tissue influencing bacterial infections (periodontal disease). In addition to this, a periodontist can also perform deep pocket cleanings, crown lengthening procedures, and bone grafting.
- Pedodontist Dentists who are specialized in the “birth to adolescence” treatment of children are pedodontists.
- Oral Pathologist A pathologist deals with identifying and managing the disease that affects your face and mouth. They focus on medical surgical, radiographic, and microscopic exams.